Hong Kong Immigration To Canada
Temporary Hong Kong PR Pathway
The series of recent events deteriorating human rights in Hong Kong has been cause of major concern to Canada. Canada’s relationship with the people of Hong Kong is very well established, which is why the Government of Canada has created a temporary public policy to facilitate the immigration of Hong Kong residents to Canada. The policy was put in place on June 1, 2021 and will be in effect until August 31, 2026.
The public policy provides two streams to permanent residence for Hong Kong residents who have either studied or worked in Canada.
Stream A: In-Canada Graduates
In order to be eligible for this stream, the foreign national must have graduated from a designated post-secondary institution in Canada within the last 3 years preceding the application.
They must have obtained at least one of the following:
- A degree (associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral)
- A diploma (not graduate or post-graduate) from a program at least 2 years in length
- A graduate or post-graduate diploma/certificate from a program at least 1 year in length
At least 50% of the program must have been physically completed in Canada, whether it was in person or online.
Stream B: Canadian Work Experience
This stream requires the foreign national to have worked for at least 12 months full-time (or an equal amount of part-time hours) in Canada, in the 3 years immediately preceding the application.
They must also have graduated within the 5 years immediately preceding the date of the application with one of the following:
- A degree, a diploma (from a program at least 2 years in length)
- A graduate or post-graduate credential (from a program at least 1 year in length) from a designated post-secondary institution in Canada or abroad.
In order to qualify for one of the two streams of the temporary pathway, the foreign national must also meet all of the following criteria:
- Hold a valid passport issued by Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, or United Kingdom to a British National (Overseas) as a person born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong
- Physically present in Canada when applying and receiving PR
- Hold valid temporary resident status in Canada
- Intend to live in Canada in a province or territory other than Quebec
- Must meet the language requirements of minimum CLB/NCLC 5 in English or French
- Not inadmissible to Canada
How Titan Law Can Help
Titan Law is a leading immigration law firm in Vancouver, Canada. Our lawyers are experienced and highly knowledgeable in this area of law, and have helped hundreds of applicants successfully immigrate from Hong Kong to Canada.
Our areas of practise include: personal and business immigration, refugee law, civil litigation, corporate and franchise law, real estate conveyancing and wills and estates. We will be able to ensure all aspects of your new life in Canada are taken care of.
We are a diverse team of professionals, offering legal services in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish and Russian.
Contact Titan Law today to schedule a FREE consultation to get more information about immigrating to Canada today!